St. Joseph’s mission statement - 'We are all God’s children and we will try to live, love, work and serve as Jesus taught us' – underpins all aspects of our curriculum: planning, delivery and marking. By the time our pupils leave St. Joseph’s, we want them to have a deep understanding of the Catholic faith.
Our vision for RE is for all children to develop a personal relationship with God, experience the awe and wonder of his Creation, and to live out the Gospel values in their daily lives. We aim to provide a curriculum which promotes the full potential of each child and develops their spiritual, academic, social and emotional growth. We believe that we are all created in God’s image and likeness and God is in everyone.
A learner in RE will:
- Develop appropriate skills for example;
- Listen effectively;
- Think critically, spiritually, ethically and theologically to acquire knowledge and organise it effectively;
- Make informed judgements;
- Ask questions to explore their understanding and personal faith;
- Have a respect for the beliefs and traditions of other faiths.
In Portsmouth Diocese, religious education is primarily taught through the God Matters scheme. Please see more information about God Matters here.
Please see our God Matters unit planner below:
Please also see our Catholic Life page.