Covid Update - letter from the Headteacher
Dear Parents and Carers
Thank you for all your support and patience with regards to our current policies and procedures with relation to Covid. Many parents have been contacting the school office with enquiries in respect of possible Covid symptoms and what to do. You may find the attached flowchart of use.
The symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) are recent onset of any of the following:
- a new and persistent cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours
- a high temperature
- a loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell.
- Anyone who develops any one of these symptoms, must not come to the school site.
- Anyone who lives with someone who has developed any one of these symptoms, must not come to the school site.
- Anyone who displays symptoms of coronavirus should get a test and their entire household must isolate with them until a result is received.
- Please make the school aware by telephoning the main office: 01202 485976.
- Please bear in mind that we are not medical professionals and cannot offer any further advice other than to restate the above.
- Some parents have reported one of the above symptoms in their children with the caveat that they ‘know it isn’t COVID.’ Although I understand that you know your children best and may well be correct, unfortunately no-one can know without accessing a test and so you must continue to isolate as a household until you have done so.
To summarise, if a child should develop any of the symptoms whilst at school, we will do the following:
- isolate the unwell child
- inform parents and request collection as soon as is possible and to seek testing
- send siblings home
- expect the family to follow government self-isolating and testing procedures
If the test for the child who is displaying symptoms comes back as negative, the family can return to school.
If the test is positive, then the family needs to self-isolate for a period as advised in government guidelines and inform the school.
We realise that this will be disruptive to families, work and to school. Please let us know if you are going into self-isolation so we can provide work for your child.
If you are still unsure if you have covid symptoms, there is a very useful questionnaire you can do on the NHS website: https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19/ this will advise as to whether you should book a test.